Thursday 6 December 2012

Dave Brubeck R.I.P.

Dave Brubeck died today. It's almost twelve years ago I had a chance to see him play live, an 80th birthday concert with four of his sons and the London Symphony Orchestra, but missed it because I'd already bought my flight back to the States for Christmas. It's high on my list of things I regret not doing in life.

To be honest, I didn't even realize he was still alive until I heard the news. I didn't even realize he was still alive and playing twelve years ago until I saw the show advertised. I'm certainly not a great follower of his. But as jazz goes, I think he's one of the best, and I'm not sure he's as well known as he should be.

If you're not familiar with him, check out Take Five. You'll recognize it. Then go a bit deeper with Unsquare Dance, probably my favorite of his. You might recognize it too. It's been in commercials and apparently made #74 on the U.S Billboard Hot 100. Then try The Real Ambassadors, with its great backstory. And his verison of Heigh Ho, Heigh Ho. And what he did with Volga Boatmen while touring Russia. And on and on and on.....

No comments:

Post a Comment