Saturday 16 January 2016

Cultural and other references, plus some follow-up


In case you didn’t youtube it yourself, Barrier Reef

And just because I feel like sharing, two more of my favorite Old 97s songs, The Other Shoe and Big Brown Eyes.

“I wonder if he is using the same wind we are using.” As an aside, perhaps the most disappointing moment of my Sydney stop was when I failed to convince the kids of the friends I was staying with that we should watch Princess Bride. I think we ended up with Mission Impossible instead.

I’ve also been doing some thinking about the food/cooking/heat issue, and I’m not sure there’s the easy solution I was thinking there was. The problem with these meal bars is that most of them are focused on the diet market with some on the workout market. They’re designed to deliver protein and maybe broader nutrition without a lot of calories, not to sustain 5000 calories per day of exertion. And the ones that are more “energy” oriented are still too small to be more than supplements. And they’re expensive, at least compared to the budget we have, which I think is about £3 per person per day. You’d drop that on a single Cliff Bar! I still think we’re stupid to make porridge, as cold cereal is a perfectly good substitute, though that might be colored by the fact that I won’t eat porridge anyway. I’m not sure how to replace the rice/pasta calories without boiling a giant pot of water. Suggestions welcome.

One last thing. I mentioned a blow-up over some bunks. Never saw anything more come of that. The two people involved are working together as well as ever. No idea if they talked it out or just moved on, though I suspect the latter. There will probably be more such moments around the boat as we go. It’s a lot of people in a confined environment under a lot of stress and not getting a lot of sleep. I’m actually a bit surprised there haven’t been more.

No comments:

Post a Comment