Sunday 31 January 2016

N 11 deg 27', E 139 deg 36' -- Race 7, Day 13

My friend Claire (Hi Claire!) said she almost stopped reading the blog
after the first few days, because I sounded so miserable. Well, you might
want to skip this one.

I am just really, really tired. I haven't had a decent sleep in days. The
head below decks is abating a bit, but it's still really uncomfortable. I
think my bunk is particularly bad, being high side and upper, so heat flows
there. When the lee cloth is up, which it needs to be to stop me from
falling out, air circulation gets even worse. And despite my efforts to
keep some clothes dry to sleep in, some combination of sweat, condensation,
and/or leaks means my bed is soaked. Of course, everyone thinks their bunk
is the worst. And the constant heat and damp create rashes for everyone in
all sorts of places, which make it even harder to sleep. I'm actually a bit
impressed people are keeping it together as well as they are, but there is
an all-in-this-together mentality.

Sailing short-handed is also taking its toll. We're still one of the
smaller crews, if not the smallest. And we've had a few injuries. Nothing
major, but enough that people have been at reduced capacity or even out for
a week or so. And I have to revise my withdrawal of the "passengers"
comment. Yeah, it was a bit harsh, but at the same time, it's not enough to
just make a bit of an effort. Some people have physical limitations, but
they work hard to make up for it. For example, Linda is not only 69-years-
old but also about 90 lbs soaking wet. She's not a lot of use when we need
power. But she more than makes up for it in other areas. She may be the
hardest working person on this boat. I wouldn't want to try sail with a
crew full of Lindas, but I think we're lucky to have one. But some
people... they make a certain level of effort, then, wehn that isn't
enough, they seem content to let others pick up the slack. It's corrosive.
But of course, these people are also the least self-aware, so they're
immune to even fairly direct suggestions that they could up their game.

Anyway... on a happier note, we're right over the Mariana Trench, the
deepest spot in the oceans. Those who were at my leaving drinks in London
might remember I was drinking Mariana Pale Ale. Didn't even think we'd be
coming this way, so that's worked out nicely. And this would be a really
bad place to drop your keys. And I didn't!

No comments:

Post a Comment