Saturday 13 February 2016

N 11 deg 40', E 112 deg 46' -- Race 7, Day 26

Not a lot to report. The wind has died down quite a bit and the sea is
flat, so the sailing, while still upwind, is not too bad. If we were
actually trying to get somewhere, progress would be frustratingly slow. But
as it is.... Ryan's recent line was "Sleep is the only escape." But the
sailing is so sedate, it's actually hard to sleep your full off-watch. At
the same time, it can be hard to stay awake through the very quiet night
watches.

I engaged in a little creative re-branding / petty vandalism today, using
duct tape and markers to change a few "Clipper Round The World" logos on
the boat to "Clipper Round The South China Sea". I'm planning to ask a
friend who's a graphic designer (Shirley, if you're reading, this means
you) to see if he can do the same more professionally. Then I'll try get
some shirts printed up in Da Nang. Consensus is they'd sell well around the
fleet.

I'm having trouble charging my iPod and phone, so I'm without music or
podcasts. Several other people in the same situation, so it seems to be a
boat issue. Fortunately, my Kindle is still working, so I have that to
occupy the time. "Between Silk and Cyanide: A Code Maker's War", really
good WWII memoir that touches on a lot of the secret operations the British
ran in Europe. Also had one of the guys on the boat, Imre, telling us his
life story today. He defected (his term, I've never really liked it) from
Hungary is 1986, and there was quite a lot of interesting stuff leading up
to and following that.

I almost feel like I should be making up some better stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment